Saturday, March 23, 2013

Parenthood

I didn't realize being a mother would be so much work.  I love being a mom, but life is so very different.  I will never be able to think the way I used to before Brax was born.  In everything I do, I always have him on my mind and always think of him first in any decision I make.  It is definitely a big adjustment compared to the child free life we had lived for so long.

Here are a few things I wish people had told me about parenthood:

1.  The beginning is very hard and not always that enjoyable when your baby needs to eat every 2-3 hours.  You will not be able to get much done in the first month especially the first few weeks.  You will spend a majority of time at your home on the couch with the baby.  Find a new tv series to start watching.  You will not be able to do the things you used to do even small things like getting in the car to go to Chipotle.  Life will be so different.  Enjoy your independence while pregnant.

2.  Breastfeeding is a lot of work.  I am so glad I am able to breastfeed Brax since it is much better for a baby than formula.  However, it is so much work especially when he eats so often.  Also, pumping once a day is work, too.  Breastfeeding puts so much of the work on the mom.  Leaking is another perk of breastfeeding along with engorgement.

3.  You will feel tired all of the time at the beginning.  Getting up every 2-3 hours is hard.  Interrupted sleep all night does not make you feel very rested.  Yes, people say to sleep when the baby sleeps, but that is sometimes hard when you really need a shower or want to get something done for you.  Again, breastfeeding puts the night feedings on the mom.

4.  If you have a boy, make sure the penis is pointed downward when putting on a diaper.  Otherwise, he will soak the sides of his clothing.

5.  It does get better every week.  You find a rhythm/routine and get to know what your baby needs and when.  The baby will start sleeping longer.  Five hours of uninterrupted sleep seems like you have won the lottery.

Many people I talked to that have kids say they couldn't believe how hard the first few months were.  However, they say it gets better and so worth it when the baby starts smiling and interacting with you.  Most people have more than one kid so I am assuming this is true.

Even with all the work, I love Brax more than anything.  I love being parents with Wade and how having a child has made us closer as a couple.  I would never want to go back to the life we used to live before having him.  He is our world, and we will love him forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment