Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Baptism

We flew back to Nebraska over Memorial Day for Brax's baptism.  He was baptized in the same church where my mom was baptized.  This is the church my mom's parents were an instrumental part in building.  They were very active members of the church.  They believed and practiced the Catholic faith which is now being passed down to Brax.  My great great grandfather was an original founder.  He was tired of driving his horse and buggy so far to the neighboring town in Fremont so he started the Catholic church in Valley.  My grandfather couldn't marry the first person he asked because she would not become Catholic.  I am glad because we all wouldn't be who were are if it wasn't for my grandma.  When I converted, my Great Aunt Edna said my grandparents would have been so happy.  My Aunt Diane said they would have been pleased as punch to see Brax be baptized there.

My friend, Father Ryan, baptized Brax which meant a lot to me.  During the Mass, Father Ryan had some special words to say about Brax during his homily.  Brax cried for a few minutes at the beginning of Mass, but he was very quiet during the rest of the service.  Then, we had the baptism following the Mass.  Brax was pretty good and only cried a bit at the end.  He actually smiled at me after the water was poured over his head, and he had a big smile for Father Ryan when he held him after the baptism for pictures.  My niece, Ava, who is two added some excitement to the end of the baptism.  She grabbed the tall lit candle in front of the baptismal font.  Luckily, someone was quick to react and held onto the candle.  She was pretty scared by all the commotion.

My sister, Ali, and brother, Mike, were one set of godparents.  The other set of godparents were Wade's cousin, Phil, and his wife, Stacey.  We are thankful to have them be a special part of Brax's life.

Needless to say, it was a very special day.  We had many people attend who met Brax for the first time.    I think there were about 45 people there.  It was quite the celebration.  We had Hy-Vee cater the dinner, and my elementary school teacher made the cakes.  Thank you Mom and Dad for all the hard work especially with the reception!

On the way to church
The Baptism











Proud Mom and Dad
From left to right:  Godparents:  Stacey and Phil Haussler, Mike Gitt, Ali Gitt, Father Ryan Lewis with Braxton, Angie, and Wade

Godparents:  Phil and Stacey Haussler

Godparent:  Ali Gitt
Godparent:  Mike Gitt
The Reception:

My best friend, Kirsten with her family- hopefully, Brax's future wife
Nana and Aunt Jill
The Guest of Honor
Meeting Great Great Aunt Irene











 Finally at home with Grandpa and Grandma- what an eventful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment